Forum and Archive Feedback W/POLL

I've spent a great deal of time bringing back the stm32duino.com forums into an archived format because there was simply too much valuable information there to loose. It may look like a forum still but it's not. I have removed a lot of the links on the top pages that made it look like you could still post or log in but there are thousands of links and I'm not going to try and remove them all.

I was torn between directing people directly to the archive of stm32duino or putting up a navigation panel in the URL's root directory to allow you to either come to this forum or go to the archives. After doing a great deal of research I've decided it would be in every one's best interest to redirect from this forum to the archives. If you don't agree with how I set this up I would like to hear your thoughts as to why.

I am far from being an expert with the STM32, Arduino, Teensy or any other type of micro controller and I'm not sure how much I personally will be able to assist answering questions. My hopes are that former members of the stm32duino forum would find their way here and will continue assisting others.

Setting up the archive and creating this forum cost very little money so there is no need to worry about any type of advertising. I hate adds as much as the next person and I have ZERO intention of adding anything like that.

Forum design
  1. Do you prefer the current forum look over the "Old" phpBB look?5 votes
    1. Yes I like this modern look
      20.00%
    2. No, I prefer the "Old' forum look
      80.00%
  2. Do you prefer a bright(white) or dark(black) color scheme?5 votes
    1. I like the current "bright" looking design
      40.00%
    2. I'd prefer a dark look, the white hurts my eyes
      60.00%
  3. Where would you like to see a link to the "Old" Stm32duino.com?5 votes
    1. It's fine where it's at
      60.00%
    2. Find a better place for it
      40.00%
  4. Should important posts from stm32duino archives be imported into the current forum?5 votes
    1. Yes, import threads that were stickied to continue discussion
      60.00%
    2. Leave the archives alone, I can look for information myself
      40.00%

Comments

• One small point - if I go to the forum's home page, and bookmark it (in Firefox / Waterfox), the bookmark is created as "All Categories —STM32duino Forum", unless I intervene - based on the page title, presumably.

I think a good general rule for page titles is to start with the name of the site or organisation, then place the specifics after that - it makes it a lot easier to find a bookmark again, if it's in a list or folder with a lot of related ones.

On an unrelated note - as I'm typing, all sorts of weird little things are going on in the background, making it a bit laggy. Is there an option to turn all that off, so I'm typing in a simple text box?

I find it hard to type when characters appear a little bit late. It's distracting, and I make more mistakes trying to correct little mistakes, because it doesn't quite keep up with my edits. It's kind of like walking through soft sand.

• edited August 19

Could these email notifications be turned on, by default:

Notify me when people comment on my discussions.

Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.

They currently have to be turned on manually, which means anyone who doesn't realise that will be left out in the cold, thinking no one is replying to them. I've seen that happen a lot in forums - someone joins, asks a question, gets answers, but doesn't reply to them for a long time, or at all, because they never saw a notification email.

It seems to me that defeats the purpose of a forum. Is there a data protection law requiring that? There are some other notificaton preferences already pre-selected, so I would guess there isn't.

• @Andy2No

One small point - if I go to the forum's home page, and bookmark it (in Firefox / Waterfox), the bookmark is created as "All Categories —STM32duino Forum", unless I intervene - based on the page title, presumably.

This should be fixed now and would be book marked simply as "STM32duino Forum"

On an unrelated note - as I'm typing, all sorts of weird little things are going on in the background, making it a bit laggy. Is there an option to turn all that off, so I'm typing in a simple text box?

I have no idea what you are talking about, there are no background activities on the forum, and all you should be seeing would be a normal looking text box.

I find it hard to type when characters appear a little bit late. It's distracting, and I make more mistakes trying to correct little mistakes, because it doesn't quite keep up with my edits. It's kind of like walking through soft sand.

It sounds like you might be posting from a mobile device? The forum has no kind type of word prediction or anything along those lines.

Could these email notifications be turned on, by default:

Notify me when people comment on my discussions.

Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.

I believe the default setting should set to notify users via PM ,it can be changed to also send by email but for the time I've just left everything at the default settings.

It seems to me that defeats the purpose of a forum. Is there a data protection law requiring that? There are some other notificaton preferences already pre-selected, so I would guess there isn't.

That is very possible the reason email settings are off by default, one of the reasons I chose to use this message board was that it does support the EU data protection/privacy laws and is capable or removing either the screen name from all posts made by an account while preserving what was posted or can remove all posts while preserving the topics even if the person who requested their data was the thread starter.

• edited August 20

It's incredibly slow now, PeteS, and I'm typing (trying to) on a Corei7 based Windows 7 PC.

Trying to quoute your post left me with a partial quoute, and no way of editing it or adding my own reply.

There is an autosave going on, which may be part o fothe problem.

I give up trying to corect what I cant saett properly as I type./

• It would be great to have a link on the homepage pointing to the archived/readonly forums front and center. Reality is that most people will be looking for that and having that link right up there would help a ton.

I just created an account here to post/comment -so haven't looked everywhere yet - but also a sticky explaining what can/cannot be done with the archives would help a lot (ie no search etc)

Another notice on the register page asking people to reuse their forum username from stm32duino (no way to force/ensure that it will be honored - but there's no harm in it either) - that way, if you find the user from archives, you could @ mention them on the new forums to continue discussions.

once again,kudos on the great job!

• edited August 21

thanks for creating the forum!

there is a 'lesson learned' from the old forum, we'd need to have projects, libraries and relevant boards that gains wide spread use placed in a wiki or document portal. there are things often discussed in a thread, it gets forgotten and 'snowed under' and after some times some one would ask the same question again.

this is especially so for newbies. and things like if you get a blue pill (stm32f103c8) you need to get either a serial dongle or st-link v2 programmer. this would keep coming back as new threads when beginners struggle with new boards for the first time. that board/mcu is totally new to them and many would stumble and struggle with the boards e.g. that the 'old' maple mini many of them has the usb boot loader pre-installed. while blue pill does not. there would be all sorts of information and misinformation scattered around the web and youtube videos about it.

in terms of the archives to import it would be those libraries and particular threads that are useful e.g. solving particular problems etc. otherwise many of the posts are casual chats which may introduce 'noise' to the forum

• Thanks for the forum.

I plugged in my first stm32 blue pill when the old forum was already on its way to being retired, i started out on roger's core then also used steve's core for my F4 board and eventually settling with the official core atm. I like the guides and awesome projects like the $10 stm32 oscilloscope project (revisited one) where almost everyone has placed their own ideas on it like the rotary encoders, 1.8 inch mod and the latex pig case. I still don't understand half of what the code does, but i go over it a lot when i learn something new like port registers and manipulation. I also like the getting started guides uploading the bootloader and such. stickies help a lot of newbies like me who are just getting into microcontrollers.

• Buenas noches no tengo la capacidad para opinar sobre el foro me integre hace unos minutos con el tiempo me ire integrando

saludos