Using I2S on bluepill

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
triple_m

Using I2S on bluepill

Post by triple_m » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:04 am

hey, I want to use the `Adafruit I2S MEMS Microphone Breakout - SPH0645LM4H` or 'Adafruit I2S 3W Class D Amplifier Breakout - MAX98357A' in my project to process sound easier.

The goal of my project is to encrypt voice that come from TRRS connection to the mcu and then send it encrypted back over the TRRS connection.
For the best of my knowledge , the easyest way to do it is to connect the TRRS to I2S Amp like the ones I want to use and then i will get in the bluepill nice digital bytes to work with (not sure if for sending the data back i also need I2S or i can simply use the WriteAnalog....)

From looking at the datasheets I couldn't found I2S bus on the bluepill.

So before I buy this boards, are there any way to connect them to the bluepill? (i did see that there is arduino I2S library but they say here: `https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/I2S` that this support only very specifics board with I2S bus)

My question are:
1. Am I going in the correct direction for my project purpose? or there is an easier way to go (I must get the data from TRRS and send it back to TRRS so this is not negotiable)?
2. Are there is i2s bus in bluepill and I missed it somehow?
3. Are this breakouts going to work with the bluepill?
4. If 2 ens. is no - which board do i need to use the i2s breakout?

Thank you all,
Jack

mrburnette

Re: Using I2S on bluepill

Post by mrburnette » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm

I2S can be synthesized via SPI3
http://stm32duinoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... t=10#p5489

This may or not be satisfactory for your purposes. I think the F4 is the preferred uC for I2S.

Please read my post here: http://stm32duinoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3111 as I think it will help you out as a new member.

Ray

madias

Post by madias » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I2S can be emulated quiet well on a blue pill, IF no master clock is needed.
A good search term for this forum: pt8211 (these are those crap cheap good sounding DAC's we played a lot in the past with outstanding code results ;) )
and...yeah! - > found it, happy reading, but it should be no problem to use "your" DAC with this code (maybe some mods):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=519

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm

madias wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:28 pm
...yeah! - > found it, happy reading, but it should be no problem to use "your" DAC with this code (maybe some mods):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=519
Ah, at least we pointed to the same post :D

Ray